Saturday, July 16, 2011

Best Ever Croutons (saved from Disaster Bread)


Last night's attempt at making bread was a bit of a disaster. Impatience got the better of me, and I took the bread out of the oven just slightly earlier than I should have. The result was sticky bread- nearly there, but not quite. Once the disappointment had passed, I had to think practically- I didn't want to waste the bread. This morning it actually made very good toast, and that got me thinking about croutons. This week I read an article on the Guardian website about how to make the perfect Caesar salad, and for perfect croutons they recommend croutons baked with garlic oil.  So, here is my version. Perfectly crunchy and very tasty croutons. I used thyme, but you could use any type of dried herb.

Ingredients

-5-6 slices of good bread (mine was sourdough), 1 day old, in 1cm cubes
-1 tbsp homemade or good quality garlic infused oil
-1 tbsp homemade or good quality rosemary (or other herb) infused oil
-1 tbsp sunflower oil
-3-4 sprigs of thyme
-Salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 100C. Mix the oils together in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, brush the cubes with the oil and then sprinkle over the salt, pepper, and thyme. Mix well.
2. Bake for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until they reach the desired level of crunchiness.

Serve with salad or soups.







The Disaster Bread

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah
    Thanks for your comments.
    Had a really good mushroom omelette at the Puylcelsi Roc cafe,so worth a visit next time your up seeing N&S.Enjoy your blog you work hard with it
    Have a great holiday,best wishes
    David X

    ReplyDelete