-5 sheets of filo pastry
-1 aubergine, in 2cm cubes
-1 onion, sliced
-A handful of chestnut mushrooms, quartered
-1 clove garlic, sliced
-200ml passata (or tinned chopped tomatoes)
-2 tsp Za'atar (Middle Eastern spice mix made of thyme, sesame seeds and sumac)
-1 tsp cumin seeds
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp chilli flakes
-100g grated cheese
-1 small pot natural yoghurt
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, grease a 23cm tin.
2. Gently fry the aubergine cubes in some olive oil in a covered pan until soft (around 10 minutes). Meanwhile fry the onion and mushrooms in some olive oil with the chili and spices. Add the garlic, fry for one minute more then add the aubergines and passata and season to taste. Reduce for a few minutes.
3. Whisk the egg, yogurt and grated cheese together. Season.
4. Line the tin with the filo sheets, one by one at angles (like a star shape) and brushing each with olive oil. Fill with the aubergine mixture then top with the cheese custard.Cut off any excess pastry.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve with salad.