Serves 2 (quantities can be easily increased to cater for more people)
Crispy Gherkin Bites
-4 gherkins, sliced into 5-10 mm rounds
-3 tbsp flour
-1 egg, beaten
-1 tbsp natural yoghurt
-1 tsp cayenne pepper
-1 tsp dried basil
Oil for frying (e.g. sunflower oil)
-Handful chopped fresh coriander
-1/2 tsp lemon zest
-100ml natural yoghurt
1. Mix all the ingredients for the dip together in a bowl and put in the fridge until ready to serve(this is best done a few hours before in order to let the flavours develop).
2. Put the flour and seasoning in a plastic sandwich bag with the gherkin slices and shake until the slices are well coated.
3. Take two shallow bowls. In one, mix together the egg and yoghurt. Put the breadcrumbs in the other bowl. Start heating the oil in a saucepan on a low heat.
4. Take the gherkin slices out of the bag a few at a time and dip first in the egg mixture, then in the breadcrumbs so that they are well coated. You will need a plate to put the coated gherkin slices on whilst you finish the rest.
5. When the oil is hot, fry the slices a few at a time until golden and crispy (about 1 to 2 minutes).
6. Serve whilst hot, with the dip.